Monday, January 22, 2007

Fahrenheit 451-Entry8: My Choice


http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mhaij1GuGkB6ACjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=127ne846q/EXP=1178524634/**http%3A//mikesseedbed.blogspot.com/2005/11/books.html
Entry of my choice

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

You probably heard of this quote at least one time in your life. Well, to get to the point, it was also mentioned in Fahrenheit 451. I always thought about this quote. I believe that most of the people agree with this statement because other people also agreed so.
Unlike others, I disagree with this quote with the evidence of my own experience. I buy books just looking at its cover. I have no problem with it what so ever. Books with appealing covers are more fun than the books with dull, simple cover. I once bought a book with a flamboyant cover with sparkles on it. The title was The Lion Boy. The book wasn’t as good as the cover displayed, but it was fairly interesting. Another time, I bought a book with black and white picture of a family on it. The book itself didn’t look interesting at all, but since it was a Newbery Honor Book, I decided to buy it. The book was so boring that I thought that it was going to take me a year to finish it. I think that books can be judged through its cover. The cover is the first thing that the readers see; therefore, writers should have a fascinating cover to grab the readers’ attention.

6 comments:

Lucia Jeong said...

I agree with you. I've always thoguht of the quote "Don't judge a book by its cover". It rarely matches with me. Books with dark colors with mysterious figures on its cover tends to be a mystery of a horror book. Books with bright colors and dazzling images are usually happy ending fantasies or fairy tales. Covers that have fascinating pictures draw the reader and seem to persuade them to pick the book off the shelf and read it. The majority of books with dull looking covers makes the reader weary and bored in the first few pages of the book.

Albert said...

I, too, judge a book by its cover. I choose a book and read if it has a appealing cover, but I usually give up reading soon because it's boring. I found out that I enjoy myself with a book with a less appealing cover. Therefore, I think we should not judge a book by it's cover, but I still look for books with appealing cover.

Angela Kim said...

A famous quote! When I buy a book, I buy a book that has a cover which interested me like you, Jean:) I do agree with your opinion about the quote. "Don't judge a book by its cover." It is sometimes true, but most of the time isn't true. However, once a fascinating book covers made me disappointed. But still I think what you said about this quote is right. Good job, Jean<3

Yaejin said...

"Don't judge a book by it's cover?" Sure, if I get to read any...haha. I've once picked a book entitled The Catcher in the Rye, but it had a very boring white cover (which turned grey very soon). But the contents were great! Some books had very colorful covers, but the contents were not as "colorful" as I expected it to be. Did you have a nice Lunar break?

TOVK said...

You must excuse me for being so aggresive to your point of veiw; however, I MUST say that you take the quate/old saying/cliche bit too literally. I have thought in the same manner as you did for a time in my life, but later I realized that it really didnt mean "books" (it could but does not HAS to) but anything! Artist can see beuty in garbage, love can be formed between a beutiful woman and an ugliy man and the ugliest person could become the best friend you could ever have!! I can tell you this with confidence because I really had some prejudice when I first saw you but I was wrong apparently~! I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE NICE BUT YOU ARE EVIL!!! ha ha ha I'm just kidding. Aside from my point of view of the quate I think you did a good job at giving the message of your point of view to other people~!
NICE JOB!!

African Globe Trotters. said...

TOVK - Your anonymity astounds me. Use a spell checker and make sure someone proof reads your work because your English needs serious attention. Make positive comments with sound valuable criticism. Mrs.Mc.